Friday, August 22, 2008

Keep your hands off her

They took DHs sister again. They brought her back on Wed and took her again on Thur. Why would you go through the trouble or returning her just to take her again? They came to take her in the middle of the day when all the men were all out working on the farms so only women and children were left at home.

I have nothing but hatred for these boys. I don't like to say that I hate people, but stealing someone else's child? I hate that and the desire that leads to that. And raping a child? I despise that. I don't have a great vocabulary, but if I did I would go through every word to describe the depth and color of my hatred.

I've been trying to find a justification for their actions and I have come up short. It's not like they couldn't have found a girl that was not in school. It's not like they couldn't have found a girl that they knew. She was not the only girl available. Why not go the traditional way and find someone where all family members agree to the marriage? And really? They wouldn't have had to try to hard to convince DH's step mother for the girl. The girl may have even agreed if asked. Why not ask? Why would you force a girl, or any person really?

I don't understand it. If this were my daughter you can bet on me going to every person that I could. I would talk to the police, the chief, the elders, the boys parents, the Girl Child people, the headmaster of the school, the landlord, the priest, the local government representatives. You name the person and I'd be there knocking on the door. I understand that the boys are stupid and could get violent with myself or my daughter, so I would find an intermediary, but it would be an immediate intermediary.

I am praying she is safe. I am praying at least the boy's family is taking good care of her.

This has been a rude awakening to me. I like to live in a world where bad things like this don't happen. They are only stories of what could happen, but good is always triumphant. Here, good didn't win, and I don't like it.

God, I don't understand.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

I'm sorry :( That is so awful. I hope she is returned safely!

Daily Verses said...

I'm really upset for his sister and family. I will be praying for good treatment for her and her safe return home. I'm sorry.