Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Library Lullabies

Last night Handsome and I went to the semi-local library for Library Lullabies. We met a few other mothers there in our local mom's group. Handsome LOVED it!!! It was TOO cute!

We got there after they had already started, but I swear they started early and we were on time. We squeezed between all the kids and mommies and sat next to one of our friends. I sat on the floor and put Handsome in my lap. The woman reading the book was very animated. She changed her voices and waved her arms, and Handsome thrived on it.

He started out sitting very seriously. He looked around the room and first noticed the huge stuffed gorilla in front of us. He pointed and looked back at me. I told him it was a gorilla and tried to redirect his attention to the storyteller. And then she said something along the lines of "And the bear gave a big YAAAAWWWNNNN!" He looked over at her, and sat back in my lap with his hands laying on my arms in his lap. She had gotten his attention. Each time she would make a big sound or move her arms like she was stretching, he would start to smile and then he would look back at me. It was like he was saying "MOM, Did you SEE that?!" but at the same time needing to be reassured that he could like what she was doing. It was TOO cute!! After the bear yawning book she moved onto an animal sound book and you know he loved that. The cutest part was always that once he started to smile he would always look back at me.

We also sang some songs like Itsy Bitsy Spider (however she sang the Eensy Weensy Spider) and the Wheels on the Bus. Again he loved it. She could very well have been tone deaf, but he loved it.

But of course he's 15 months and can only sit still for so long. He saw some of the other kids running around and decided to join in the fun. The lady decided that we needed to do a "parade" so all the kids walked/ran around the tables in the room. Handsome did not see the point in this, and frankly neither did I. He instead went straight for the laptop one of the older siblings had brought.

After about 30 min the lady decided that no one had the attention span anymore so she ended it. It was fine because really, they didn't have the attention span. I loved the small time that we had though because for as long as Handsome had that attention span, it was priceless.

Oh and the bedtime story that I read to Handsome every night? He has started repeating the one part that says "dirt dug burrow" after I say it. Yay! The child needs to start copying stuff. He just doesn't seem to want to copy anything we say even though I'm pretty sure he could if he wanted to. He may very well end up to be a very independent little guy. I'm very proud of his "duh duh duh" after I say "dirt dug burrow" though. Again, the small things.

1 comment:

Hf said...

How fun! I wish M. would like story time.