Monday, August 18, 2008

I talk funny.

Apparently no one can understand me. My son's name is common. Very common. In the top 20 boys names. And yet when I tell people his name, I always get a confused look. "What?" they say. I repeat and then they say what they think I said. I get all sorts of variations that sound NOTHING like his name.

Apparently I talk funny. I didn't think I did. I thought I had a normal, bland American accent. Even if I had a Texan accent, I still live in a southern state, so people should understand.

Really. His name is common. Why is it so hard?

But it must just be me. Even when I give people my name, I get all sorts of variations. Again, my name is common. Not as common as my son, but it was featured on a prime time sitcom. That should mean they will all know it, but no. You would not believe how many variations of my name exist. I usually just give up and say yes. I claim all variations on my name. If it sounds like my name, I'll answer. Even the expletives that are similar? I'll answer.

At least my last name changed when I got married. People would alter my last name and think it was my first name. Yes. First alter. Then change positions.

Of course my new last name causes it's own confusion. Apparently when I say "o" people think I said "l" Seriously. Do those even remotely sound alike?? And a consonant in the place of a vowel makes no sense at all, so why would that be your first guess??

3 comments:

Hf said...

people do that with me too! Although niether of my names are common but come on it is spelled exactly how it sounds.

Amy Anderson said...

That's funny because I remember telling you that you don't have an accent at all and I was surprised!

People call me Annie a lot. Whatever.

Lynn said...

Amy - Thank you! I didn't think I talked funny, but lately experiences have made me wonder.