Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Nearing the end

The end of the breastfeeding is nearing. For the past few weeks I've only been feeding him in the morning and right before he goes to bed at night. All other times he refuses. Well the past couple mornings when I go to feed him before work he'll start to cry when we finish and I put him down in his crib. I don't think it has to do with the breastfeeding, but it makes DH have to wake up to get him a bottle to get him to sleep again. I don't want that to become a habit, so we're stopping breastfeeding. I think at this point he's mostly just humoring me anyway. I'm going to feed him again tomorrow morning so that I can say we made it until 14 months, and then we're done. I'll still breastfeed him before bed until he decides he's done or my supply completely dries out, but I don't think that will last long. My supply was never past exactly what was demanded so if he is only feeding once a day, I think I'll dry up pretty quickly.

I'm glad we made it this far, but I am still disappointed since my goal was 2 years. We are 10 months shy of that goal. I think if I were a stay at home mom it probably would have lasted longer, but with having to pump at work and leave him for so many hours during the day, I just don't think it was in the cards for us.

And then about the crying when I put him in the crib. Handsome has never really cried when either DH or I put him in the crib. You can just lay him down and he'll watch you leave the room without any tears. He'll talk to himself for a while and then eventually fall asleep. Well, for the past week he has cried when I lay him down. I haven't done anything different. I don't go pick him up when he cries, and yet he cries. Screams, really. It only lasts for about 60 seconds (yes, I timed it), so we are talking one minute here, but still. Why is he screaming now?? I haven't changed anything that I'm doing! And DH can still put him down without Handsome screaming. Why is this? Does this have something to do with me working and DH staying home? Is he upset because he knows I won't be there when he wakes up? I don't like this new trend and I want my baby to go back to the easy bedtimes.

And this weekend's project was to put up the gate to the stairs. Handsome's new favorite thing to do is to climb the stairs. He'll get all the way to the top if you let him. So we tried to install the gate and find out that there is only drywall which won't support the gate. Then we drill boards into the wall to brace between the studs. Then we realize we put the boards in the wrong place. Then we realize they won't fit in the right place. And now we still have no gate and we're using the box from the gate to cover the bottom of the stairs.

And now I have to go work.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

I know you didn't make your original breastfeeding goal, but 14 months is great! You should be proud of that accomplishment! It is emotional when it comes to an end though. I have a feeling we'll be there pretty soon too and it makes me really sad.

Lucas has been crying when I put him to bed lately too and he never did that before. Hopefully it's just a short stage for both of them!

Anonymous said...

14 months is wonderful for your little one! I bf'd for 13, when B weaned himself and it was a sad time for me, but I still gave myself that pat on the back for making it last that long. Oh, and I was a stay at home mom and he still weaned himself at 13 months!