Monday, July 21, 2008

New Car Seat

Well, Handsome finally grew - a little, anyway. The maximum weight for his car seat was 22 pounds and he was hovering around that, so we decided to get a new car seat for him. He also seemed a little bit squished in his seat, so I thought I would give him a little more room.

I researched car seats and found that the Britax Marathon got the best reviews. Yes, it is also the most expensive you can find. But here were my thoughts: Handsome is going to be stuck in this seat until he is 65 pounds and the way he is gaining weight, that could very well be into adulthood. So if he is going to be in the same car seat for such a long time, he should at least be comfortable in a seat that is easy to get in and out of. It has Velcro so that when you take the straps off it sticks to the side of the seat. This way, you're not fumbling to get the straps out from under him when you put him back in the seat. It was also easier to install in the car than the last seat we had for him. This is a HUGE plus since those fastening systems confuse the heck out of me.

I was a little concerned that it wouldn't fit rear facing in my little Camry, but it fit just fine. If we had two children and had to put his seat anywhere but in the middle, we might have had a few problems, but as it is, he fits just perfectly. This seat also gives more room for his feet, so if he remains short for a while, he could be rear facing for quite some more time.

It's probably weird that I was so excited about this car seat. It was almost like Christmas for me to get the new car seat and put it in the car. I haven't been as excited for a new toy in a long time. And yes, I know it's not a toy, but it felt like one buying it! :)

OH, and when we went to buy the car seat we had to wait in line for about 30+ min! The stupid credit card told the cashier to call them, so we had to wait while I'm sure she sat on hold with the credit card company. She was the only cashier working, so the line just kept building. Mercifully they called another cashier to come. After a bit the cashier called us over to talk to the operator. The man asked me all the security questions, asked if we had bought gas earlier and if we were buying something from Toys 'R Us. Then he said ok, thank you, have a good night! So we waited there FOREVER because they wanted to make sure no one had stolen our credit card. I'm all about checking to make sure people aren't making fraudulent purchases, but really! We bought gas less than a mile from our house and then went to buy a car seat. Are they going to make us call every time we finish buying gas?!?! And to add to the stress of the night, we were there with Handsome past his bedtime!

But in the end I got my car seat, so I'm happy. :)


OH, and Handsome grew! Like I said earlier he is hovering around 22 pounds which according to the growth chart that I downloaded, he is finally back to the 25%! Yay! He also grew taller! He is now 28 in! Of course there is always a downside right? Well, his 28 inches is still 3 inches below 50% and well within the 0% range. He looks much bigger to me, but I think it's just wishful thinking. I'm trying to will him to grow. I know it will happen in his own time, but these stupid charts haunt me.

(Yes, J.C. I edited his height. You're so good at finding those things!) ;)

3 comments:

Daily Verses said...

I love Britax carseats. We have had 2 Marathons, and now A is in the Frontier. They're great! And yay for Handsome growing! Only thing... I don't think he is 18 inches. ;-)

Michelle Lynn said...

Congrats on the new seat! How fun!

Daily Verses said...

I think it's the English major in me. I don't "look" for things to catch, but I was a tutor for so long, it's ingrained.