Friday, March 21, 2008

A new quote

I heard this quote a couple days ago on CNN and it has stuck with me. I am living the depth of its truth.

"The most segregated hour in American life occurs on Sunday morning."
- Barack Obama

I didn't notice it until I married DH. I thought about going back to the Presbyterian church that I grew up in. And then I tried to remember how many African Americans were there. None. There are white Presbyterian churches and black Presbyterian churches. If the wrong color walks in then heads turn. We have stuck with the Catholic Church partly because that is where we both fit in.

I just think it is interesting that the time where Christians are supposed to be living their faith to the fullest - the time where we are sitting in the pews - is the same time that the segregation of the past thrives.

Each church proclaims that anyone who would like to join them in their faith is welcome, but are they really? I went to a Ghanaian church around me where I was of course the only white person around. They were friendly, but honestly only the children were accepting. The children ran up and greeted me and wanted to play with Handsome. The adults smiled, one offered me a chair and then walked away.

Why do we need a distinction between white churches and black churches? Why do we need asian churches? If we are all claiming to be of the same faith why do we worship in different, separate buildings?

Where do couples like my husband and I go? I am not fully welcome in the black church and he is not fully welcome in the white church. This is one of those times that I am thankful for the Catholic church even with all its quirks. There is no such thing as perfection I suppose. We all just look for where we fit best.

Think about it:
"The most segregated hour in American life occurs on Sunday morning."
- Barack Obama

5 comments:

Hf said...

I have to agree. While dh and I don't have the race difference we do have different religions and sometimes it is an uphill battle.

Daily Verses said...

From my own personal experience, I have to disagree. My experience I'm sure is different b/c I live in an extremely diverse city and attend an extremely diverse church. However, I do find Obama's statement to be a generalization and borderline inflammatory. People often choose to worship in the cultural experience that they're comfortable with, where they were raised, and in regards to Asian or Hispanic churches, where their native tongue is spoken. When people are gathered to truly worship God, things like race shouldn't matter. I am curious to know the context of his quote, and what his overall point was. I might look it up and read the the transcript.

Lynn said...

I understand how his comment could be inflammatory. It is something that deals with faith and something that deals with race. Both issues are extremely sensitive which is whey they are rarely brought up. I think that New York is a culture in and of itself and does not properly reflect the view of the majority of Americans. If the churches in New York are integrated then that is wonderful. I have yet to enter into a church that is fully integrated - except perhaps for a Catholic Church.

Yes, people do tend to seek out churches where their culture is represented, however I think right now the culture being represented is secretly one of exclusion. And really, should a religious experience be a cultural one? If that is the case, then you run into lines that are fuzzy as to what is culture and what is religion. Initially people used the Bible to support their belief in slavery. In some areas since they have decided that religion and culture are one in the same, things like female genital mutilation is said to be supported by the Bible. Shouldn't religious faith be practiced based on the faith in the Bible and not the grasp on cultural expression?

And as far as his words being a generalization, that may be true. And in many instances generalization are dangerous. But can we ignore the majority when one city or even ten cities do not possess a sin, but the remaining million do?

I don't think the majority of people are purposefully exluding the opposite race from their church. I think it has become so ingrained that no one thinks about it. I've gone to a white church my entire life and I never thought about why the blacks weren't there. I figured they didn't like my preacher because he was boring.

I'm glad that his words were spoken and perhaps that it made some angry. Hopefully that will bring attention to an issue that is so easily hidden beneath the rug.

Daily Verses said...

I do get where you are coming from, especially in regards to abuses that have historically been (inappropriately) supported by the Bible. I still wonder though at what he hopes to gain from the statement. Would he like to see people worship in more integrated environments? Does he think that starting at that level would encourage more social integration? Is it just a commentary on the state of American churches, and nothing more? Since he is running for President, I assume that it is something he hopes to change? Do you know, did he follow that statement by some kind of proposal? Just wondering. This has really sparked my interest since it addresses faith, a topic very dear to me.

Lynn said...

His entire speech is here: http://my.barackobama.com/page/content/hisownwords

It was his speech trying to explain the comments of his reverend. The purpose was to politically distinguish himself from the anti-American comments made by the reverend.