Saturday, November 17, 2007

Soild food

I fed Handsome his first solid food today. It's interesting that they call it solid food. There was nothing solid about it. It seemed a bit like orange juice with the pulp. I mixed the organic rice cereal with breast milk like they said to do, and even added a little more rice cereal, b/c it just didn't seem like enough.

I sat him in the Bumbo on the kitchen floor, set up my video camera, and pried DH from his studies. And then I attempted to spoon feed Handsome. I have to preface this story with the fact that Handsome will put absolutely everything in his mouth. So I put the spoon to his mouth, he gave me a disgusted look and proceeded to spit everything out. He looked none-too-pleased with the whole process. I could just picture him saying, "Mom, what in the world are you doing?!" I kept trying to feed him and the majority of the food ended up on his chin and shirt. In fact after the first few spoonfuls, he wouldn't even open his mouth for the spoon anymore.

So I gave up. DH suggested we try the bottle, so we put it in a bottle. At first I tried to give it to him sitting up, and he wouldn't do much with it. I laid him down across my lap and then he tasted it and repeated the disgusted look. After a while though, he did manage to finish the three ounces that I had prepared. He was much better with the food in the bottle, but I don't think I'm supposed to give it to him that way. I'll try again tomorrow and see what happens.

Should I try the oatmeal variety instead? Would he perhaps like that better? Or should I continue with the same thing for a week just to get him used to it?

I remember being told that the majority of the first meal would end up on him instead of in him, but I thought we could manage a little more than what he got. He did manage to get a bath out of it and he loves his baths. I even let him sit this time and just held him in case he lost his balance. He was very excited.

On a side note, I have a cold. Boo. I hate colds. I went to the grocery store today and bought orange juice... and cookies. Both make me feel better. I'm washing my hands like a madwoman in the hopes that Handsome doesn't get sick.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Yep, that first feeding usually does end up more on them than in them! Keep trying with the spoon and he'll get it. My older boys always liked oatmeal alot better than rice cereal so maybe try that in a few days. Hope you are feeling better soon!