Monday, November 19, 2007

Sleeping problems

For the past two days Handsome has been on a small sleeping strike. I think he caught my cold. He's been grumpy for two days straight. Whether you hold him or let him crawl he's going to be calm for a little while and then start fussing. Even all the tried and true methods of making him smile wouldn't work.

On Saturday Handsome was finally taking a nap around 6pm and of course he pooped all over the place. This woke him up earlier than he was naturally ready to wake up - again adding to the grumpiness. Then we had to wash the sheets (the extra was also waiting to be washed) and couldn't put him back to bed until they finished washing and drying. This means we couldn't put him to bed until 9pm.

I fed him and put him to bed. 20 minutes later he was screaming. I went to soothe him to sleep again and when I opened the door he was holding on the railing and standing on his knees. I walked him, patting his back, for a while and laid him back down. 30 minutes later he was screaming again. This time DH went to pick him up. He gave him a bottle and actually rocked him until he fell asleep at 11pm. That time he finally stayed asleep for a longer period.

Normally he wakes up in the morning around 9am. On Sunday he woke up at 7am. I got up to feed him and then he wouldn't go back to sleep again. As I also have the same cold he does, I was missing my sleep. I kinda cheated at this point to get more sleep. If I left his bedroom, Handsome would start crying, but he seemed to be ok with me just sitting on the extra bed in his room. So I left him in his crib with his little fabric blocks and climbing on the sides of his crib, and I laid down on the queen sized bed and nodded off to sleep. I did manage to wake up when he pulled the mobile of his bed off. I removed it completely from his crib and laid back down.

Screaming commenced two hours later, so I got up and faced the day. He managed to take one longish nap and did go to bed yesterday without much of a fuss. Hopefully we are over the hump and he will go back to his normal sleeping pattern.

I think I'm spoiled with how easily Handsome sleeps. On a typical day he goes to bed at 8pm after I've bathed a fed him. When I put him in his crib he's not actually asleep so he talks to himself for a little while until he falls asleep about 30min later. Then he's up around 5am when I feed him, and goes back to sleep immediately. He wakes up for the day around 9am, and then naps around 11am four about two hours and then again around 3pm for two or three hours. Now granted of all those hours, he's probably awake at least two or three of them just playing in his crib, but he's at least content and will actually start crying if you interrupt his "me" time.

No comments: