Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Sleepless Nights

Last week I put Handsome down for bed as normal, and he laid down just fine. Two hours later he woke up screaming. Nothing DH or I would do would make him fall asleep. I finally laid down on the extra bed in his room and he laid down in his crib, peeking over every few minutes to make sure I was still there. And then he woke up with the sun. I got about three hours of sleep. No idea why he cried so much. Only thing we could guess was that we gave him too much juice so he was hyper and it might have messed with his stomach.

Then a few nights after that wouldn't even let my lay him down without him crying. He cried for hours, only stopping when I picked him up. He finally went to sleep and then woke up a few hours later to cry again. I just went and laid down on the bed in his room again because I was exhausted and had to work the next day.

Another night he woke up at 3am crying. I picked him up and we rocked for a while. He went right back to sleep when I put him down.

Why is he starting this now? He's been sleeping through the night without problems for quite a while now. I have no idea why he is starting this now.

I can feel the "terrible twos" coming on. The stubbornness is starting to exaggerate, he cries when he doesn't get what he wants, and he whines to get what he wants. He is also pushing limits on seeing when DH and I lay down the law. I do have to say though, that he's pretty good with his time-outs. He sits quietly for his time-out and then doesn't continue doing what he did to get himself into time-out.

I need sleep and a long vacation.

1 comment:

Brandy said...

My kids all did this. They had been sleeping through the night fine and then out of the blue started doing exactly what Handsome is doing. It lasted a few days (in one child's case a few weeks), but stopped again. I think it's just a phase.

By the way, what about getting molars? Could be that too.