Wednesday, November 19, 2008

New Words

No - (self-explanatory)

Nen - "chicken" in Dagaare

Sheh - same word for both shoe and sock.

I'm liking this talking thing. I'm assuming there are other words that he says that we just don't recognize yet. I know there are a ton in Dagaare that I don't understand and DH hasn't classified as words yet.

And you know what he learned last night? The meaning of, "Please put that back where you got it, Handsome." Yay!! I had to walk with him and help him for a few times, but then he finally understood and started putting things back all by himself and laughing all the way from the sheer joy of understanding eachother. I love being witness to the learning process. It's a beautiful thing to see a child's mind blossoming.

Handsome is such a blessing. I love him more and more every day. When I see the pain around me of friends losing their children, I just want to hold Handsome even tighter and cry. I want to cry for the joy of having my own miracle and for the thought of how painful it would be if I ever lost him. I don't know what I would do. I think motherhood teaches empathy. The day the two lines show up is the day our hearts and minds change forever. I cry for children that scrape their knees and even for children laughing with joy. The depths of my joy and sorrow have stretched beyond anything I've ever felt before. Being a mother is the greatest gift from God and I thank Him every day for the gift I have been given.

No comments: