Wednesday, October 22, 2008

God Arranges Marriage

DH was telling me a story last night. It is a local belief which I had never heard.

Apparently before we are all born we are all together in heaven. Then, as the story goes, there is a ceremony where everyone cooks beans. Yes, beans. The girls all have calabashes (bowls) but the boys don't. (I take this to mean we are more resourceful, but I guess we each take our own interpretations of stories like this.) Anyhow, after the beans are cooked and they are nice and hot, everyone has to find a place to put their beans. The girls conveniently put their beans in their calabashes. The boys however only have their hands to hold their beans. Remember we just finished cooking the beans, so they're hot and they are currently burning the hands of the boys. The boys run around trying to find a girl to allow them to put their beans in their calabash so that they can share and eat together from the one calabash. Whatever girl allows them to put their beans in their calabash will be their wife. This is how God arranges marriages. They say any man who ends up not getting married didn't find a girl in time and dropped their hot beans on the ground.

DH must have run pretty far to find my calabash. Teehee.

2 comments:

Daily Verses said...

In that case, I stood there with my calabash right under M's nose until he realized he could drop his beans in it and be done with it! :-)

Michelle Lynn said...

What an awesome story. I love it.