Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Mama and Dada

I think Handsome says words for Mama and Dada too. It's kinda funny how he has picked them up too. I of course talk about his dad so I say Daddy and Dada when I talk about DH. DH talks about me, but he's talking in Dagaare to Handsome so he says Nma for Mama. So Handsome is saying Dada in English (instead of Dagaare Baba) and Mama in Dagaare as Nma.

I got a picture book for him to learn the names of animals. As one would expect it has the pictures of each animal with the name below. The page that you open to is the title page and just has six representative pictures of what to expect in the book. Those six pictures do not have the names written below. Handsome's favorite page? The page without the names. This is fine because as the mom I should know the names right? Right. I was calling the reindeer an elk until I finally decided I needed to know the actual name and had to look it up. And then there was the cockatoo. I didn't know the name. I had to look it up. Now it's Handsome's favorite because of how it sounds. I also had to look up the leopard because I still think it looks like a cheetah and I wanted to be sure. Reindeer. Cockatoo. Leopard. Ladybug. Dog. Chameleon. Got it.

First words that I've so far classified as words:
Samson (Sasa),
banana (nana),
Daddy (Dada),
Mommy (Nma).