Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Mom vs. Cow

I don't really have the time to do this entry justice, but I did want to be able to write a little bit.

Handsome is beginning to wean himself. I tried to breastfeed him when I came home from work about a week ago, and he refused to even latch on. It made me very sad. Now we are down to feeding only right before he goes to bed and right when he wakes up in the morning. But now that we have cut down the frequency of feeding, my supply is dwindling as well.

I've stopped pumping at work as well. I know this is helping my supply dwindle, but as it was I was only getting half an ounce for about 15 minutes of pumping. Maybe my body just knew it was time to be done. I don't know. I do know that I like the extra time that I get at work now. I like that I don't have to stop in the middle of a case or ask someone to leave my office so that I can pump.

Last night Handsome woke up around 11pm when the stupid alarm went off. I know I should stop turning it on since he is past the SIDS risk, but I'm kinda attached to it. The alarm went off because he was in the corner of the bed with his legs up on the padding of the side of the crib. So he woke up and started crying. A lot. He was not a happy camper. I held him for a while and nothing seemed to make him quiet. I even breast fed him and it didn't help. DH tried walking and calming him as well. He cried off and on for about an hour and a half. Finally DH gave him about 5 ounces of cow's milk and he went right to sleep. So my milk didn't work, but the cow's did. Yes, I'm being replaced by a cow.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm going through weaning with DS right now too, and as you know, he's only 9 months old. :( But he refuses to latch on and bites whenever I try. I'm pumping, but I'm also only getting about 1/2 an ounce at a time. It's so hard. That plus, when I weaned DD, it was a start of a year long hormonal roller coaster that I'm not looking forward to again. I guess I'm posting this to tell you that a) you're not alone and b) it does suck and c) this too shall pass. (((Hugs)))

-AD