Friday, February 15, 2008

Go Obama!

Well, on Sunday we went to an Obama town hall meeting. I know I'm late posting on this. I've been sick and just behind on everything.

First we stood in line outside for about an hour. The line went really far down the street and it was cold and windy. Not anticipating having to stand out in the cold, I left Handsome's hat in the car. A very nice lady in the line right behind us let us borrow her son's hat. He was a grown man, but if you folded the hat back a few times the hat fit just fine. I was happy to see many other children in line waiting and felt much less out of place.

When we got inside we had to sit at the top of the bleachers in the highschool auditorium. Boo. We were fairly close to the front of the line, but they were filling up each section in order and we just happened to be in the spot in line that we got the back of the section. Boo. So I trecked up all those stairs with Handsome safely in my Mei Tai. I held onto those railings as if my life depended upon it.

As soon as we got our seats, I fed Handsome so that he could make it through the whole thing. He did really well!! He was flirting with everyone around us talking and laughing and smiling. I was afraid that all the racket from people cheering would scare him, but it seemed to just make him excited. He even fell asleep at one point with his body on my lap and his head on Bitter's lap.

So, why Obama? Well, I have many reasons. Some pertain to the major political reasons, and some are personal. For the personal reasons, Obama is mixed. His mother is a white woman from the midwest and his father is African. I want my son to have someone to look up to. Someday I'd like to be able to say, look at this man - Obama. He had a mother similar to yours, and a father similar to yours and he beat all odds and became the President of the United States! You can do whatever your heart desires!

The other reasons are the political sorts. I wouldn't classify myself as a Democrat, but I tend to be leaning that way right now. I think our nation needs to get a Democrat in office to veer off it's current path. I kinda like the system where there's a Democrat for 8 years and then a Republican for 8 years. Power in the hands of the same group of people becomes corrupt - no matter what group it is.

And as for Obama over Hillary, I think Hillary is too polarizing and right now that is the opposite of what our nation needs. I do think that Obama needs more experience than he currently has, but there is no such thing as a perfect candidate.

So that's my political schpeel. I never used to care much about politics until I moved overseas and saw how important it really is. The amazing thing is that our country is so apathetic that really anyone who has any sort of activism in it can have a great deal of pull.

Anyway, I need sleep.