Monday, December 3, 2007

Standing squash

Two events happened yesterday.

Event number one happened in Handsome's crib. When I went to pick him up in the morning, he was standing. Fully standing. Usually he will stand on his knees, or when he stands on his feet, it'll be kinda hunched over. Well, yesterday morning it was a full, sturdy stand which planted his chest above the top railing of his crib. So of course we had to lower the level of his mattress in his crib.

Event number two was that Handsome got a new food! For the past two weeks he's had a serving of rice cereal or oatmeal each day. Or perhaps I should say that his bib has had a serving of rice cereal or oatmeal each day. He still will barely eat any of the cereal. It's better, but he still won't eat more than about an ounce. I'd heard that some babies never really like rice cereal, so I decided to try a new food. So I bought some butternut squash, baked it and stuck it in the food processor. It was the first time I had ever tasted butternut squash, and it was actually pretty good. It tasted a little like sweet potato. He actually opened his mouth for the squash on the first try. I think he was intrigued by the orange color. The first look on his face was one of pure disgust. He moved the squash around in his mouth for a while, but then he swallowed it! I brought more to his face, and he opened his mouth and had the exact same reaction. I got about four spoonfuls in before he decided he didn't want to eat anymore. He did seem to like the squash better than the rice. Even though he never gave a good face, he ate more of the squash than of the rice cereal.

So when exactly will he actually start to want to eat from the spoon? I keep reading that some babies are eating jars full of food by this age, and yet Handsome is really uninterested in it.

1 comment:

Daily Verses said...

Yay- big milestones. As for food- it takes a while, to really get the hang of it. My young lad is just now starting to like eating, and we've been at it for nearly 2 months now. Butternut squash is a favorite in our house.