Thursday, April 3, 2008

A fun quiz

I found this on Michelle's blog and thought I would try it out as I procrastinate just a little:




It says this about me:


You're the time of day right around sunrise, when the sky is still a pale bluish gray. The streets are empty, and the grass and leaves are a little bit sparkly with dew. You are the sound of a few chirpy birds outside the window. You are quiet, peaceful, and contemplative. If you move slowly, it's not because you're lazy ? it's because you know there's no reason to rush. You move like a relaxed cat, pausing for deep stretches that make your muscles feel alive. You are long sips of tea or coffee (out of a mug that's held with both hands) that slowly warm your insides just as the sun is brightening the sky.


The description is pretty good ... minus the 6:49am part. My brain is just not awake at that time. I do love that time a day when I'm rested and awake though.

I loved the mornings in Ghana. I never set an alarm for two years. I would just magically wake up around sunrise. I would wake up to the birds, the wind, the rays of sunlight, the sound of the girls in their dormitory and the wasps making their nests right outside my window. Of course there was also the sounds of the women singing as they walked by to go cut wood and the dogs running by my window. The guinea fowl liked to roam around my house and that was just not cool. Have you ever heard the guinea fowl when they really get going? They sing in chorus and could wake the dead. Mama goats would leave their teeny tiny baby goats on my porch as they left to go get food. Those goats screamed just like little babies. They were so soft to the touch though and adorable. Roosters would fly up on my ledge about five feet from my perpetually open windows and crow just to mess with me. I'd yell and then you would hear the flutter of his wings just before he let another cry out. Stupid roosters. My house was also near the path to the school for the elementary students so I'd hear them walking by my house and joking and laughing with eachother. Occasionally they would quickly get quiet and you could hear rustling near my window as they tried to peak in and see the white lady. I would just lay there and let them think I didn't know they were looking. But mostly I remember the gentle morning breeze and the steady rising of the sun. That's what woke me up in the morning. Sunrise was always around 6am if I remember correctly.

Ah, memory lane....

1 comment:

Daily Verses said...

It sounds beautiful in Ghana! Thanks for the little trip down memory lane.