Saturday, April 5, 2008

Cheerios

Well, I finally bought Cheerios last night. The dr told me to buy them and let Handsome try to eat them at his last doctor's appointment which was almost two months ago. I didn't buy them because I was terrified that he would choke on them. I'm sure that's some first time mother fear that I'll get over with the next child. Nonetheless, it took me two months to get up the nerve to buy Cheerios.

So for the first try I bit off 3/4 of a Cheerio and gave him the tiny piece left. Because really, how can a child with no molars chew on a hard Cheerio? Well, he gummed it for a second, then it was gone and he was begging for another. Since the first one went so well, I only bit off half of the next one and gave him the rest. You could hear crunching in his mouth and then it was gone and he wanted more. I gave him half a Cheerio for a while until I finally gathered up the nerve to give him a whole Cheerio. After eating the other half of his Cheerios I realized that it dissolved really easily in my mouth, so he got his full Cheerio. I watched him the whole time waiting to have to do the Heimlich maneuver or something, but he chewed that Cheerio like a champ and started begging for the next.

So now I have a Cheerio eating little boy. It's about to make me cry. Imagine - the mere fact that my little boy can eat Cheerios is making me teary eyed. I've never been so emotional until I had Handsome.

The next step is letting Handsome figure out how to eat the Cheerios on his own. He still hasn't figured out how to get things from his hand to his mouth. He will pick up books and eat them, and really anything he finds goes to his mouth - except actual food. When he got the Cheerio in his hand, he didn't know what to do. He just looked at me and cried for another Cheerio. I'm kinda glad because since he doesn't realize he can eat things he has picked up with his hand, I don't have to worry so much about the small pieces of fuzz on the carpet, or the piece of dirt that came in on someone's shoe. I actually dread the time when he figures out how to feed himself. I know it is coming soon.

1 comment:

Daily Verses said...

Not silly at all to cry over Cheerios. I feel the same way. Though it is very fun to watch them learn how to master this particular skill. And then - you're right - watch out! They start to eat everything off of the floor.