Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Mommy, I peed on the potty!

Ok, Handsome didn't tell me he peed on the potty, he didn't know he had done anything and he barely speaks single words, much less actually sentences.

This weekend I bought a little potty for Handsome. I wanted him to get used to seeing it so that it wouldn't be something he was afraid of. He has been sitting on it and playing with it ever since. Even cries when I take him off his potty to get in the bathtub. I have told him that's his little potty and it is used for peeing and pooping, but who knows how much of that actually registers with him.

He often will pee right after I turn on the water to fill the bathtub or shortly after I put him in the bathtub. Well, last night I turned on the water and told Handsome that if he needed to pee he should sit on his potty. He laughed - which usually is his version of "yes" or "ok" - so I put him on the potty. He sat there - with his diaper still on - until I decided he was done brushing his teeth - yes, I know, normally gross, but he did still have his diaper on. When I took the toothbrush away and then went to take his diaper off, I noticed his diaper was still wet. He had peed on the potty!!! Again, completely a mistake, but I cheered him on and told him what he did anyway. I let him sit there for a while longer just in case there might be more to come. He cried when I took him off the potty to go into the bathtub, but there was no more pee pee in the potty.

His new thing? He seems to have picked up the Dagaare word for Poop - bin (pronounced bean). After he has a poopy diaper that has been changed he comes downstairs and points to his diaper while chanting "bin bin bin bin bin" and laughing as if telling the parent that stayed downstairs what the other parent just had to go through.

No comments: