Monday, September 8, 2008

Learning Timeout

I mentioned before that I am stating timeouts. I wasn't sure if he understood what timeout meant yet, but last night he showed he at least knew part of what it meant. He was spreading water on the coffee table from his sippy cup. I told him he wasn't supposed to spread water on the table (remember he does this often and out of his maybe five times in timeout so far probably three or four were for spreading water or milk on the coffee table. So after told him he wasn't supposed to spread water on the coffee table, as his warning, he got a very sad look on his face and walked himself to the timeout spot and sat on his little butt and started to cry. I did not tell him to go, he just seemed to understand that when he gets in trouble he goess to that spot and sits.

That understanding happened much more quickly than I had anticipated. Perhaps the next lesson should be what a warning means.

No comments: